If you have begun taking college courses and have now decided to pursue a career in computer science, an important question has probably crossed your mind: What courses will transfer into a computer science degree? By reading the information found below, you can obtain an answer to this question and several others that pertain to the field of computer science.
Computer Science Degrees-The Basics
Although broadly defined, computer science is a field that involves the practical and scientific study and approach to computation. When an individual opts to obtain a degree in computer science, coursework is geared towards facilitating the systematic study of the structure and expression of the processes that underlie the processing and storage of computer information.
Transferring Courses To Your Computer Science Degree
If you are attempting to transfer courses that you’ve already taken towards your computer science degree, there are several things you should take into consideration. First, your learning institution can honor or reject your attempt to have the transfer completed based on a plethora of factors. One of them includes your attainment of the courses from a school that is not accredited. Another factor is whether or not the grade you earned in the course conforms to the school’s guidelines for transferal. Thus to determine whether courses you have already taken will transfer towards your computer science degree, it will almost always be necessary for you to speak directly with an academic advisor. While doing so is necessary, you should also be aware that general coursework (which generally comprises the first 60 hours of an undergraduate degree) will highly likely to transfer towards your computer science degree. Here are several such courses:
- ENGL Rhetoric and Composition
- CAS Effective Speech
- HIST A History of the United States
- HIST The American Indians and the United States
- HIST Middle Eastern History and Civilization
- ECO Introduction to Economics
- ECO Principles of Macroeconomics
- GEA World Geography
- GEO Environmental Science
- GEO Human Geography
- INR Introduction to International Relations
Additionally, upper level coursework within the field of computer science will often qualify for transferal. Some courses that may qualify include:
- CSC 326 Software Engineering
- CSC 246 Operating Systems for CSC
- ST 370 Probability & Statistics for Engineers
- CSC 216 Programming Concepts – Java
In many cases, students who opt to pursue a career in computer science find that few or none of the courses they want to transfer are accepted by a learning institution. When this happens, the student often has several options that can help speed up the graduation process. One option is to appeal the learning institution’s refusal to accept courses and transfer them to the computer science degree. Additionally, the student can look into taking online courses that may be eligible for transfer to the computer science degree. Taking online courses can be a good idea for several reasons, including the fact that the student can study at his or her convenience, a factor which can often precipitate a speedier completion of coursework. If you are interested in completing some of your computer science coursework online, it is a good idea to attend an online school that is accredited, has an established brand, and includes a physical location. Studies have found that online degrees from these types of schools are viewed more favorably in the eyes of prospective employers.
If you are thinking about pursuing a career in computer science, you should know that obtaining a degree in the field would be appropriate and advantageous. Now that you have an answer to the question “What courses will transfer into a computer science degree?,” you can begin the process of applying to have classes transferred towards your degree.
- Can You Get a Good Job with Only a Bachelor’s in Computer Science?
- Do Computer Programmers Work Long Hours?
- Do I Have to be Good at Algorithms to Get a Computer Science Degree?
- 5 Cheapest Associate in Computer Science Degrees Online
- Top 10 Best Online Master’s in Computer Science Degree Programs
- Top 10 Computer Science Degrees Online
- Top 50 Bachelor’s in Computer Science Degree Programs
- How Do Employers View an Online Computer Science Degree?
- Is a Computer Science Degree Right for Me?
- What is the Average Salary for Someone with a Computer Science Degree?
- What Should I Look for in a Good Computer Science Degree Program?
- Is a Computer Science Degree Worth It?