Computer Science Degrees Offered at Capella University
Capella University appears in our ranking of the Top 5 Most Affordable Ph.D. in Cybersecurity Degrees Online.
Capella University is a for-profit online university that allows students across the globe to quality education. The original intent of the school was to offer graduate-level programs only. In 2010, after 18 years of presenting quality graduate degree programs online, the school moved into the realm of bachelorette studies to offer bachelor degree programs that students could take online in their home environment. Since the university exists online, it is only natural that the school should provide quality bachelor, master’s, and doctoral programs in computer science along with several certification programs.
Since 2010 Capella has proceeded to offer more fundamental courses with each year. Today, the university offers undergraduate certifications for those students entering the field of information technology. These fundamental certifications in computer science are:
- Network Technology: Cisco
- Network Technology: Microsoft
- Software Development
These certification programs deliver a deep understanding of the fundamental issues found in the computer science industry. The programs also serve as a springboard for students who wish to pursue a four-year degree in computer science or as a part of a minor degree at Capella University.
Capella University made a commitment to the field of computer science at its inception. When the school began offering baccalaureate degrees, it also encouraged the completion of a minor degree in computer science to be attached to majors in other areas. Indeed, the undergraduate certifications work well as a near completion of a computer science minor as an additional six credit hours in the subject area is all that is necessary to complete the minor. The minor degree opportunities provided by Capella University are:
- Network Technology: Cisco
- Network Technology: Microsoft
- System Development: Mobile
- System Development: Web Application
A student seeking a bachelor’s degree in computer science at Capella University must complete at least 120 credit hours of study. The undergraduate seeking these degrees choose between three baccalaureate degrees. Those degrees include:
- Bachelor of Science in General Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in IT Project Management
The Masters-level programs in computer science offered by Capella University are some of the finest available online. These programs began to evolve early in the development of virtual distance learning. Each degree takes a minimum of 48 quarter credits, which normally takes from two to three years to finish. These degrees are sought worldwide by those already engaged in the computer science industry as a focal point to increase their understanding of an aspect of their jobs and to provide the expertise and credentials necessary to enter management positions. Capella offers three masters-level degrees in the field of computer science including:
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
For those students who do not have the time to spend two to three years or who wish to pursue a finer subject line to advance themselves in the employment market, Capella University offers graduate-level certifications. These certifications have a narrow focus and require a mere 20 quarter credits to accomplish. The average student finishes the certification program in one year. These programs are a specialty of Capella University, which has been offered since the inception of the school. The graduate-level certifications at the university include:
- Certification in Advanced Analytics Using SAS
- Certification in Analytics Using SAS
- Certification in Digital Forensics
- Certification in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
- Certification in Network Defense
- Certification in Project Management
Capella University has offered doctoral degrees since it first opened its doors. One might say that offering quality degrees online in the realm of doctorate-level education is the incentive that initiated the birth of Capella University. For those students looking to explore best practices, solve business problems, and use current practical solutions to control an evolving virtual world, the Doctor of Information Technology is a degree that will further their careers. For students who are looking to explore the boundaries of information technology theory and expand the possibilities of that ever-changing world with the development and experimentation with new theories to create new possibilities, the Ph. D. in Information technology is the preferred degree.
About Capella University
Capella University began as the dream of Dr. Harold Abel, who saw the Internet as an opportunity to offer graduate-level degrees online for students too busy or otherwise unavailable to attend traditional classes. Founded in 1993, the school was one of the first online universities to seek and obtain accreditation. For the first 17 years of its existence, Capella University only provided graduate and post-graduate degrees. In 2010, the school started its first undergraduate program. Today, the university instructs over 38,000 students with only 23% of them taking undergraduate courses.
Capella University is often overlooked by ranking organizations, but there are a few. In 2020, US News & World Report ranked Capella University at 261st in Social Work and 285th in Best Public Affairs Programs. For students interested in Capella University’s information technology programs, in 2007, Capella received the prestigious National Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education designation from the National Security Council.
Capella University Accreditation Details
Capella University has maintained its accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission and the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since 1997. Other accreditations in specific areas of study come from:
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Accreditation Council Business Schools and Programs
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (CAMFTE)
- Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation
- Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for Project Management (PMI-GAC)
- Commission Collegiate Nursing Education (ACEN)
Capella University Application Requirements
To be admitted to Capella University Every student must be able to speak, write, read, and otherwise communicate with fluid English. Every student who is proficient in English is accepted at the university. Other requirements include:
- Filling out the online application
- Presenting all transcripts from high school through every post-secondary school attended
- Fill out and sign the acknowledgment agreement
- Each department has its GPA requirement—check the department to find it
- Bachelor’s students must be at least 24 years old
- Applicants for a masters-level program must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Doctoral program applicants must have a master’s degree from an accredited institution
- There is a non-refundable $50.00 application fee
Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition at Capella University varies according to the degree level the applicant is seeking and the degree programs. The tuition variances include:
- Undergraduate–$357-$411 per credit hour
- Graduate studies–$435-$805 per credit hour
- Post-graduate studies–$540-$800 per credit hour
The percentage of students that receive grant or scholarship aid through the Financial Aid Department at Capella University sits at 78%. The university has a system of scholarships through donated funds from philanthropic organizations and alumni. Pell grants need grants, and community, state, and national scholarships are accepted by Capella University as payment in kind. The university is a member of the Federal Student Loan System.
Capella University is the premier online university in the U.S. and offers students who cannot attend a traditional classroom the opportunity to expand their knowledge through the online experience.